Tuesday, 5 May 2015

The year in books: May 2015

This year has got off to a good start reading wise and thought it was about time to start sharing some of my recent reads on here by taking part in The Year in Books 2015 hosted by Circle of Pine Trees.

I have never been part of book club, but I love to read and talk about books so I decided to give this a go.


I haven't quite finished The Accidental by Ali Smith yet, but I'm down to the last few pages. A really original style that took a little adjusting to but from the early stages I was full of admiration for her skill in being able to write in a number of different styles and from contrasting viewpoints across one novel.....very clever. I'm definitely intrigued to find out where it takes me. 

I find Cormac McCarthy both challenging and rewarding in equal measure. I really enjoyed both The Road and his Border Trilogy, his descriptions of landscape are at times achingly beautiful, but this time he got the better of me. Outer Dark was dark to say the very least, too dark for me. I was pulled in by the first paragraph but it ended there, he takes bleakness to another level here. I persevered, but I think this is one of the rare times I will not keep a book, this one is charity shop bound for someone else to grapple with.

Lastly, although I think I read this in March but I've been desperate to share it, is The Man Who Couldn't Stop: OCD and the true story of a life lost in thought by David Adam. I heard him talking on the radio a while back and even though I don't suffer from OCD myself I could identify with some of the things he was talking about and I knew I needed to read this book. I thought it might be quite a challenge so it stayed on my bookshelf for a few months before I decided it was time. Everyone should read this book! It is all at once compelling, fascinating, moving, absurd, tragic and incredibly relevant to all of us whether we suffer from OCD or not.

My choice for May is Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer another one that has been on my bookshelf for quite a while waiting for the right moment.




1 comment:

  1. I have a work colleague with OCD but she does recognise it for what it is and we all allow for the fact that she is governed by certain rituals which hopefully makes life at work that bit more bearable. I'm sure we can all admit to getting in the car and then getting the urge to check the door is locked even though we know you have you still have to get out and check it don't you and if you x that by a 1000 I suppose we would get an insight into how controlling OCD really is.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete